Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Bracing in Surf


I am merely an intermediate paddler and not an expert. These videos are posted for demo and discussion sake, rather than teaching a pure form. Please consider these videos and blog post with that in mind.









Real-life braces lack the over-emphasis of braces as we teach them. We teach them in a certain way in order to help students gain muscle memory. However, this may lead less-experienced students to assume intermediate paddlers aren't bracing. Nothing could be further from the truth. Indeed, a combat roll usually indicates a failed brace.

First video:

From the Love Point footage on 22 Oct 2016. 5 of us launched to surf and then turned towards Kent Narrows for a down-winder.

If my dear reader watches the above video, compiled out of an hour and 45 minutes of video footage, they will see a number of brace-like moves that really do lack the whole "monkey arms" low-brace form we teach our students. I brace a lot. I get that it can be subtle and hard for other paddlers to see. In fact, because I like to emphasize bella in sella, beauty in the saddle, I try to blend or transition my strokes. It is such that I rarely take that "monkey arm" low-brace position so many students are familiar with.

The other things notable from the video are the large number of skimming braces, as well as bracing rudders that I perform.

I use skimming braces more than distinct low braces. I endeavor to have my paddle in or on the water at all times in surf and am often skimming it in one direction or another. Not only is this a form of bracing itself, but it also keeps me in a great position in case I need a really definitive brace.

The bracing rudders are used when there is a need to both control my direction and also brace. They can look quite like stern rudders but differ in that the shaft will not be parallel to my kayak, but instead be crossing my deck at around a 45 degree angle.

A bracing rudder, or as Kayak Tom calls them "brudders," will definitely put the brakes on. So I try to reserve them for when they are truly needed. But sometimes I use them because they are handy, maybe because my blade was already positioned for one. Or, sometimes, I use them because I am feeling lazy at that moment and do not want to "get surfed."

Second video:

Shot 21 July, 2016, at the south tip of Tybee Island, GA.

Just a very short demonstration of more classic low-braces done during a long bongo surf. I do use the 'monkey arm" position some. A different example of the same low brace, done differently.

Watch the videos. Read what I wrote, then watch the video again. Write me a note, dear reader, and tell me what you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment