Saturday, September 26, 2015

SKUK NDK Romany Surf carbon/Kevlar

Before I had sold my Solstice this used boat came on the market:



































In the photos this SKUK NDK Romany Surf in carbon/Kevlar composite sits next to another Surf, in the Elite fiberglass composite layup.

The c/K Surf has a white deck and black trim, a really eye catching combo. At somewhere around 45 pounds it is about ten pounds lighter than my own Surf. Maybe more like 15 pounds lighter. In any case, I was not in a position to buy this boat when it came on the market. Our garage was out of space and another boat simply would not fit. Also, I had a lack of cash at that moment. A friend bought it instead, so I was allowed to paddle it for a short trip.

I found the boat's fit to be nearly identical to my own, although it lacks the 1/4 inch pads in the knee bumps. Otherwise the fit was reassuring, feeling much the same as my boat. On the water though it felt lighter, had less swing weight. I also had the disconcerting feeling that it did not have the same acceleration as my boat. I noticed an obvious feeling of sitting higher in the water. None of these things were bad, just different.

All in all I liked the boat quite a bit. Because I have the neck thing that makes moving boats around on dry land a pain I prefer to own at least one light boat. Many times I would use my Kevlar Solstice simply because it was much easier to load than my Surf. So I am glad I got the chance to paddle this Surf. I am now on the prowl for a similar boat, either the Surf or the Romany Classic. Most likely I would prefer the Classic. An instructor recently told me I should consider a smaller boat, one with less width and free board, and I had to agree after weighing the differences that the Classic is probably the boat I need for the future.

Having sold my Solstice I now have a spot in the garage for a new boat. And funds to buy. Now I just need to locate an NDK Romany Classic in carbon/Kevlar layup. Of course, I would be happy to add the boat above to my stable if it came available. I think this may take a while. I will let my dear reader know when I find a boat, I suspect some traveling may be in order.












No comments:

Post a Comment