Thursday, September 24, 2015

I sold my CD Solstice GTS

As I have learned more about my own paddling style I had come to the decision that I did not really need to keep my Solstice. I do need a second boat, just not that one.






















Please do not misunderstand me, I loved the boat. Of her many good qualities I could wax poetic. Current Designs finishes their boats very finely. She was beautifully put together. As the boat was a Kevlar composite she was as light and stiff a boat as I could have asked for. A stunning boat, very lovely to see on the mat or on the water, she drew attention anywhere I took her.

The downside of the boat starts with the length. At 17 feet 7 inches she could be a handful in surf. Specifically, I found it a real problem to launch through shore break. And as far as actual surfing goes she was not agile enough to allow me to turn off a wave when it was time. She was a foot and a half longer than my Romany Surf and that 17 inches or so just made her a beast in the break.

The second part of the downside was the rudder. In an expedition boat, when one must absolutely get from Point A to Point B, a rudder is a handy thing. I think one could make a valid argument that it is a necessary component, a highly useful tool. However, the Solstice is a bit rudder-dependent. Add the fact that she tended to lee cock when the rudder was down and suddenly I would sometimes find myself over matched. When she was loaded with gear this was never as much a problem, but I only occasionally camped out of the boat.

The third thing, the thing that finally convinced me to sell her was that I had only once completed a sweep roll in her. She was a tad deep for me, the coaming rising up around my ribcage. This left me less flexibility as I have a very short torso but long arms and legs. In the end, this last fact sealed my decision to sell her.

With great worry and some sadness I placed an ad on Craigslist earlier this week. She sold last night. I had imagined that one of the older male paddlers I know, and I know oodles, would jump on the chance to own her. Oddly enough though, it was a younger guy, new to the sport, who bought her. She is in such good shape, only three years old, that he will surely have many years to enjoy her.

I washed and waxed her yesterday, one last time, so she would be ready to show. She did me proud, a lovely boat, and got me my asking price.

























And so I said goodbye to my first high-end boat. She will always be my dragon boat, who taught me so much about edging and control. I hope her new owner enjoys her as much as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment