Tuesday, September 19, 2017

6 months later

Well, something like six months since I wrote a blog.

My sometimes-friend Ed Rackley told me “blogs are dead” and that I was wasting my time maintaining one. I listened and started on Instagram and Twitter (@justapaddler). I escaped Twitter within the month, too much talking, but I enjoy Instagram. However, I missed writing out my thoughts here. I also miss writing detailed logs of my trips.

I'm back. Still a little bit the dirt bag paddler. Still scraping by making guiding and hosting events. I sell NDK sea kayaks, Celtic paddles, and Reed Chillcheater gear.

I am also still making and selling fiber arts and jewelry on etsy.

My companion of the last six months, Rob, calls me an entrepreneur. That sounds way better than hustler, will paddle for food. Likely I would be a  starving artist if it weren’t for him.

In any case, I think readers still only come here to look at the pics, I'll oblige them:








We've paddled twice recently on a new-to-us section of the Potomac River. We drive south from our place near Mattawoman Creek to a launch in the shadow of the 301 Bridge. It's new water, huge fetch, wide open and with a surprisingly strong current. On the outgoing tide we measured it at 2.2 knots.

The cliffs on the Virginia side add interest as well as the opportunity to collect the occasional sharks tooth and old beach glass. I predict we will return many times.

What can I say? I hope you are happy to see me again.

No comments:

Post a Comment