Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Collecting yesterday































Rob asked me why I am not "making hats" right now.  He's right. I'm not sewing as much as I had planned. I did finish this hat and list it this week. I have some plans for aggressive paddling this fall and making hats doesn't feed into them. In fact, I'm rather an obsessive hat maker and once I start I have a hard time stopping. I don't paddle and make hats on the same days.

But I WILL collect sea glass, clean and catalog it, and paddle like a maniac on the same day. Hunting shells and glass feeds into my walk-about nature. That's probably why I started collecting sharks teeth and rocks all those years ago.

Logo much?

Little 'ski at boat ramp






































Yesterday I went out and did an average of 4.25 miles an hour, for a total of 10 miles. I stopped on three beaches, and then came home sandy, accidentally sunburned, and happy. I cleaned and sorted the glass. Here's my find:

Pile of loot

These rows are Grade A specimens. Thick, colorful, and quite "sugar coated," like a gum drop.

There's some pretty shell fragments in there.

Close up of a bonfire piece that's twisted. It's quite pitted, but looks like it's suffered a more recent break on the near edge.

This white piece marked by the arrow is going to be devilish hard to photograph. It's shape and missing edges indicate great age, as well as the pitting and sugar coating.


I like this. I enjoy being outside on the windy wide river, with sand in my shoes. I wouldn't have it any other way. During the hard winter I'll wrap some of this glass in silver and sell it. Some other pieces will be sold in batches on etsy. Either way, I'll send it to the new appreciative homes it deserves.


No comments:

Post a Comment